If you are not looking to dish out a lot of cash on inventory, Dropshipping is going to be your best route for shipping products out to customers. Shopify, one of our favorite e-commerce platforms makes it super easy to connect Dropshipping companies to your store via apps. Items can be easily synced to your store with continuous stock and price updates running on automatic. It doesn't matter what you want to sell, dropshipping will allow you instant access to thousands of trending products.
What is Dropshipping
Shopify defines Dropshipping as
a retail fulfillment method where a store doesn't keep the products it sells in stock. Instead, when a store sells a product, it purchases the item from a third party and has it shipped directly to the customer. As a result, the merchant never sees or handles the product.
To put that simply,
- You feature distributor product(s) in your online shop
- A customer orders the product(s)
- The distributor sends the product directly to customer, eliminating your need to physically ship products yourself.
How-To Get Started with Dropshipping
There are several dropshipping companies popping up, however, if you want to be able to easily sync products with automatic updates as mentioned earlier - we recommend you roll with Shopify.
First, set up a Shopify Store (if you haven't already). Once you have created your store, head over to Shopify's app store. There you can either search for "dropshipping" or search for one of the following dropshipping vendors:
- Inventory Source
- Modalyst (Syncs with popular vendor, SHEIN)
- Collective Fab
- Apparel Pop
- Tee Launch
- Eliminates need for storage space
- Cuts down on shipping costs and gas costs to the post office
- Access to thousands trending products
- Low, affordable startup costs
- Save time and scale business quickly
- Limited control over many aspects of the customer overall experience
- Unable to inspect products before shipping
- No control over shipping times
- May or may not be able to send supplier promo materials to include in packaging
- Customer service could be questionable (especially if dealing with suppliers overseas)